Fourth of ten

Posted on 4:26 AM by jr cline | 0 comments


The fourth question in the  10 Things You Should Know About Yourself (aka: “So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!”) series is 

Who makes my life more difficult than it needs to be?

Interesting question that has required me to do a lot of thinking. In the last couple of years, I've been busily getting people who make my life unpleasant and difficult out of my life.   After thinking over this question, it appears that I have done a pretty good job in that area.   I've been able to pick out one person and a separate behavior that make my life more difficult than it needs to be.   

The person is myself of course. 


If there is anyone who can complicate my life, it is me!  I can fret, worry, be melancholy, harbor resentment...pick out some feelings and thoughts that you think fit here.  You know the ones.  We all know.
Apart from thoughts and feelings, there all all the little things I do out of habit that really serve no purpose and sometimes are unhelpful.   And I still do them?  duhh    So much for fancying myself an intelligent person.


The second part of my answer has to do with a behavior.  Gossiping drives me up the wall.  I can't tolerate rumors and if I am told one, I quickly begin to track down the truth all the while dropping the name of the person who told me the rumor to begin with.  I'm rarely subjected to rumors anymore.  People don't like it when the rumor they are spreading is laid side by side with the actually story.   
A few years ago there were a lot of rumors going around about me.  I got totally fed up when I received a letter from a retired coworker who lived out of town.  The gist of the letter was a plea for me not to kill myself.  Now, killing myself was the farthest thing from my mind yet the rumor mill had created a suicidal portrait of me that was spreading.  :-(   
hmmmm  
What to do about it?
I decided to keep my personal life to myself at work.  Work is for work and personal is personal.  
That seems to be working very well.  



Who makes your life more difficult than it needs to be?







0 comments:

Post a Comment