One day,

Posted on 10:16 AM by jr cline | 0 comments

a Brahmin, a person of high rank and authority, came to see the Buddha. This Brahmin had a foul temper and quarreled frequently with everyone. He would even get mad if someone else was wronged and that person didn’t get angry in response.
  
So, when he heard that the Buddha never got angry, he decided to test him.
  
The Brahmin went to the Buddha and showered him with insults.
  
The Buddha listened patiently and quietly.
When the Brahmin finally stopped, and was waiting for the Buddha’s reaction, the Buddha calmly asked him, “Do you have any family or friends?”
 
“Of course,” answered the Brahmin. “Why?”
  
“Do you take gifts to them when you visit?”
  
“Of course I do!” the Brahmin snarled.
    
“What if they didn’t want to accept one of your gifts?” the Buddha asked. “What would you do with it?”
“I’d take it home and enjoy it with my family,” the Brahmin said.
    
“Well, then,” said the Buddha, “Friend, you brought me a gift of your angry insults. I don’t wish to accept it. I give it back to you. Take it home to enjoy with your family.”
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment