Another new year

Posted on 2:35 PM by jr cline | 1 comments

I've seen some new years come, grow old, and be replaced with other new years.  I've seen a lot of changes contained within those years.
I sit around reflecting/projecting about the coming year with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation.   I anticipate the adventure of it all.  My trepidation is probably more cold feet than anything else.  At the beginning of all great adventures, there is that underlying mixture of excitement and fear. 
So much has changed in the last year and in the year before that and before that and before..........I see no reason to expect things to remain as they are now.  I'm sure a few pieces will remain, but maybe not even those few will remain.  Alan Watts said it well, "every one of us is a whirlpool in the tide of existence, ...where every cell in our body, every molecule, every atom is in constant flux, and nothing can be pinned down".  
With all the days that have passed in my life I must consider whether I'll even be here to see the birth of the next new year. Of course that eventuality will set me voyaging  on new and different plains. 
Regardless of all this, if the new year is to be truly experienced it must be felt directly, silencing words and meanings.
In the spirit of resolutions I borrowed this idea from TheOrganicSister, 11 Permissions for 2011.
"In preparation for the mind-altering, life-inspiring, beautiful madness to commence, I hereby give myself full, unapologetic permission to…."

   1. Only take and keep the photos I love.
   2. Feel shy or walk away or not.
   3. Slow down and even stop.
   4. Love myself.
   5. Be selfish as needed.
   6. Surround myself with intelligence, creativity, adventure,  inspiration and beauty.
   7. Say goodbye to people, situations, and things that hinder my progress. 
   8. Dress in ways that make me comfortable and happy.
   9. Succeed and fail.
  10. Fearlessly live up to my full potential.
  11. To always remember the word is not the thing.
  


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a wonderful outlook, although I don't want to hear you say anything about not being here to see the birth of the next new year. That's the same for everyone, and you're not that old..really and truly NOT! You have a great list of 'permissions'. I love it. You have such a way with speech and philosophy. No one else I know is like that, and I really appreciate it in you. ^_^

Post a Comment